How Advancement Works in Troop 73
Advancement in Troop 73 works just like any other troop should. The working on ranks Tenderfoot through First class should be working on the tasks in their books. The Life Scouts and above plus instructors plus adult scouters are allowed to sign off the requirements in the scout’s handbook. Upon completing all the achievements, the scout will have a Scoutmaster Conference with the Scoutmaster. Upon completion of this, they will go before the board of review. The date of the board of review, is the date of rank for the scout.
For Star through Eagle, things are a little different. Scouts must earn merit badges, provide leadership through one of the Troop Leadership Positions in the Troop and they must do service work. Some of the merit badges must be of the Eagle Required merit badges, while some are electives. This is quite different for the scouts that have been used to the Tenderfoot through First class ranks.
Average advancement schedule :
In the back of the
Scout Book are the requirements a scout must perform to get his rank.
When each task is completed, it gets checked off and signed by the
THE SCOUT BOOK
IS YOUR PERMENANT RECORD! DO NOT
A scout may work on any merit badge at any rank in his career. The steps usually are:
1. A scout tells a leader he wishes to work on the [XX] merit badge.
2. He is given a list of merit badge councilors for that badge.
3. He contacts the councelor and downloads the merit badge workbook. (see: http://usscouts.org/usscouts/meritbadges.asp)
4. When scout finishes, the councilor will issue him an official document ‘blue card’ of the badge, signed by the councilor that the scout has completed (or got a parital) on the badge. These accomplishments are permanent and have no expiration date. DO NOT LOOSE THIS CARD. The councilor gets a copy so he can confirm the scout finished it.
5. The scout then asks a leader for a Board of Review. The completed card is presented before the board. The scout gets a copy, the board gets a copy. The Review sheet is turned in to the office for the merit badge.
KEEP YOUR SCOUT RECORDS
KEEP ALL TOGETHER